Training and work experience
Become a future sustainability expert at a net zero bootcamp. This is a fully-funded five-week green skills bootcamp for technically minded people and sustainable start-ups, run by London South Bank University (LSBU). On the hunt for the future workers, leaders and innovators, these bootcamps offer real world employable skills in sustainable engineering – including solar power and the circular economy.
To be eligible you must:
- live in London
- be 19 years or over
- have maths GCSE (or equivalent)
- be committed to a five-week bootcamp
The next courses start:
- Monday 4 September 2023
- Monday 6 November 2023
If you're not in education employment or training get support to realise your potential. You'll learn to build confidence, motivation and the vital skills to succeed in long-term employment.
This is a four to six-week in person programme of expert coaching. With up to a year of follow-on support. It will help you overcome whatever challenges you face, and equip you with the skills and mindset you need to get into work or education.
Next programme dates: to be announced
The Engineering and Design Institute London (TEDI-London) run an online engineering taster programme that takes place across two weeks. The programme will teach you more about the world of engineering and involve a nature and sustainability-themed design challenge with prizes. You could also be eligible for an award of up to £500 if you go on and study at TEDI-London.
To be eligible you need to:
- Be over the age of 16
- Be available for approximately 14 hours both weeks
- Have access to the internet.
Next course date: TBC
You can sign up if you're 16 to 24, or 25 years old if you have an Education, Health and Care Plan (EHCP). Other eligibility criteria applies. You'll get career inspiration, work experience, qualifications, access to apprenticeships and more.
Location: classes will be blended (in person and online), and located near Kensington & Chelsea, Croydon, Sutton, or surrounding Boroughs.
Locations if you're:
- 16 to 18, you can join the course in a classroom near you
- 19 to 24, or 25 if you have a EHCP, you can join the course remotely through Google classroom.
Retrofit Revolution puts you on the road to a career in sustainability. You will gain practical understanding of the UK's retrofit sector and career options. You will be supported to progress into further training or work and meet with an employment coach throughout.
To be eligible you will:
- Live in South London
- Be aged 16 or over
- No qualifications
- Must not be in regular employment or self-employed
- Interest in the green sector
You can apply for free tuition in digital skills and leadership from London Southbank University, and the qualifications you will receive are accredited by OCN London.
- Basic skills entry Level 3
- Creative digital courses
- Courses to improve your digital and IT skills
- Digital marketing courses
Find out more about free digital skills training and apply for a course.
Aspire offers Londoners the opportunity to study accredited training (Level 4) across digital skills, health and social care, creative industries, and construction, creating a clear pathway to further areas of development and employment.
Courses on offer are across the sectors of:
- Digital Skills
- Health and Social Care
- Creative Industries
- The Green Economy
To be eligible for the Aspire programme, you must:
- Be a UK resident
- Live in London
- Be either employed and earning less than £11.05 per hour or unemployed
- Do not already hold a level 4 qualification or higher (include BTEC, degree)
- Do you want to build and recognise leadership skills? The Prince's Trust Futures Leaders programme offers a free and exciting two day session to learn new techniques on how to utilise mindfulness for present and future success.
- Join one of the weekly welcome sessions for 16-to-30-year olds to find out more about the Prince’s Trust and their opportunities.
- The Prince’s Trust Development Awards help cover the cost of course fees, tools or equipment to help young people achieve their goals and move into education, training or employment.
- Explore Enterprise offers 18-to-30-year-olds support to start a business, from business planning and marketing, to sales, as well as the opportunity to work with a business coach.
If you're aged between 16 to 18 and currently not in education or employment, our Post-16 Service can signpost you to impartial information, advice and guidance on post-16 options.
Let us know your career situation and we can help you with your options. If you're not already in education, training or work, but are thinking about a course at college or sixth form:
Surrey Docks Farm in SE16 offers work experience placements for students looking to gain practical animal care experience with their livestock team. You need to be aged 14+ for weekday placements and 18+ for weekend placements.